Thursday, 12 November 2015
Halloween special Recipe, Brains, Blood and Bogies!
The Boys absolutely loved this, hope it gets the same response next week when it's known as just plain old meatballs!
Herby Meatballs with Smokey Tomato Sauce
Serves 4 - Ingredients
• 500g minced beef
• ½ onion
• ½ cup fresh basil
• ½ cup fresh parsley
• 1 cup spinach
• 3 medium eggs
• ½ cup wholemeal bread crumbs
• 1 tbsp dried oregano
• 3 cloves garlic
• freshly ground black pepper to taste
Smokey tomato sauce
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 tsp coconut oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
• 1 tsp paprika
• 2x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
1. Preheat your oven to 180C or Gas Mark 4.
2. Blend onion, herbs, garlic and spinach in a food blender.
3. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well with your hands.
4. Season the mixture to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Make small balls the size of golf balls and place them apart on a baking tray, then place them in the preheated oven to cook for about 30 minutes or until browned.
To make the sauce:
1. Place the onion in a heavy bottomed pan with the coconut oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and fry gently over a low heat until soft and sweet.
2. Add the garlic, paprika and chilli flakes and fry for a further 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
3. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 20 minutes. Liquidise until smooth. Pass the sauce through a sieve, back into the pan. Taste and add seasoning as necessary.