Thanks to Lisa for this lovely recipe. I often make it as a midweek dinner when the children have clubs on as I can pop it in the slow cooker in the morning and forget about dinner until we are ready to eat. If I have time I seal the meat and cook off onions etc first but have also just put the whole lot in the slow cooker when pushed for time, tastes just as good.
I usually substitute the red wine for stock made with a Bovril cube and it tastes just fine, it’s always a full house of clean plates!
CINNAMON LAMB CASSEROLE (serves 6)
2 tbsp plain/gluten free flour 1tbs ground cinnamon
1 Kg lean boneless lamb, cubed 55g raisins
2 large onions, sliced 1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, crushed
400g tin chopped tomatoes
300ml red wine/ /stock
2tbsp red wine vinegar
· Preheat slow cooker if necessary
· Coat lamb in flour and season with black pepper
· Heat oil in a pan and add onions and garlic and cook slowly until softened.
Increase heat and add lamb. Cook for about 5 minutes until browned evenly
· Stir in wine/stock, vinegar and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Transfer to the slow cooker, stir in raisins, cinnamon and bay leaf and season with black pepper. Cover and cook on low for approx. 8 hours until the lamb is tender.
· Discard bay leaf and serve with basmati rice/couscous and steamed green vegetables.